Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr

From: chad
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:26:46 -0700

On Apr 6, 2012, at 3:20 AM, Bastien wrote:
>> Like what?  And how much faster is "faster"?
>
> Like "significantly for my own usage".
>
> Check this source for a comparison:
> http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/why-switch-to-bazaar.html#high-storage-efficiency-and-speed
>
> Git might be slower on Windows, though.
>
> I think nobody really disagree with git being faster.

Both the Bazaar and git people agree that bazaar/git is faster than git/bazaar
on some things and slower on others.  Eli is (I believe) curious about what
things you're doing that seem importantly faster on git.

The bazaar doc you reference says specifically this about speed:

        Git is faster but Bazaar is clearly fast enough for 99.9% of
        users. If Bazaar 2.x is genuinely too slow for you on your
        project, please tell us where and we’ll do what we can to fix
        the problem for you.

Like emacs versus vi, this question has quite a lot of ``well-known knowledge''
that is widely spread, oft-quoted, and generally untrue.  That isn't meant to
imply that your experience is invalid; simply to point out that `the common
conception says...' is often well off the mark in this area.

> Since I agree this is the main one, I won't argue about the other
> issues anyway :)  And I guess we all have too much to do to argue
> on such things.

True, very true.  It is *perhaps* worth talking about as a `background task',
though, because there are many VCS things that become much easier if two linked
systems use the *same* dVCS, and Emacs seems very likely to stick with Bazaar
for philosophical reasons.

I hope that helps,
*Chad