Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions polic

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr [was: Next pretest, and regressions policy]
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:13:09 +0200

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Bastien <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:42:24 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> The problem is: how to create a patch from Org git repo that can be
>> easily applied to Emacs bzr repo.
>>
>> If someone can come up with a workable solution, that'd help me a lot.
>
> Can you describe your current workflow in this respect?  I mean, the
> last thing you probably want to hear is a suggestion for a workflow
> that you already use, albeit imperfectly...

Org git repo has three branches:

- "maint"  = branch for releases only
- "hotfix" = branch for hotfixes against the current release
- "master" = the development branch

Hotfixes go to... hotfix, while ordinary development goes to master.
For minor releases, we merge hotfix to maint.  For major release, we
merge master to maint.  We add a release tag from maint.

For the Emacs sync:

So far, I *copied* files from the hotfix branch to Emacs, trying to
review the diff before committing (obviously my brain has been asleep
when I did this, and I relied too much on the assumption that I
correctly backported changes to Org in Emacs to the Org git repo.)

>From now on, here is what I will try to do.

I have a local "emacs-merge" branch, stemming from hotfix.  This local
branch has a directory "emacs" that reproduce part of the hierarchy of
Emacs files, that part which contains Org files.

doc
 misc
  ChangeLog
  org.texi
etc
 org
  OrgOdtContentTemplate.xml
  OrgOdtStyles.xml
  README
 refcards
  orgcard.pdf
  orgcard.tex
lisp
 org
  ChangeLog
  [org/ob..el]x109

Then the sync process is this:

1. Check for org-related changes in Emacs trunk

2. Backport them to the hotfix branch

3. Copy the files from the hotfix branch to the emacs dir in my local
   emacs-merge branch, and get a diff from there.

4. Clean up the patch so that it applies correctly in Emacs trunk.

5. Fix merge conflicts in the hotfix branch and go back to 3 if needed.

6. Commit the diff on the "org" bzr branch (bound to the remote Emacs
   trunk) when things look fine.

Suggestions against this workflow are welcome.

--
 Bastien