Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: patch vs. overwrite in bzr
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 07:45:38 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Finally, I'm curious to know whether you, Juanma and Paul would be
>> willing to commit fixes directly in the "hotfix" branch of Org's git.
>> This is the branch that is sync'ed with Emacs trunk, and committing
>> small fixes there first would remove 90% of the pain.
>
> If you let people commit to that branch it might become more difficult
> to use it for the sync.

Why?  E.g. If Paul committed spelling fixes to the hotfix branch of Org,
then merging this branch to Emacs would trigger less merge conflicts.

It doesn't remove the need for double-checking and for committing
patches instead of overwriting files, but it certainly alleviate the
maintainance burden.

I must be missing something.

--
 Bastien