Re: Release branch plans

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Release branch plans
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:45:55 -0400

> PS If you are not familiar with bzrmerge.el, the whole point is that it
> does a real merge, then does some tricks to get an effect akin to
> cherry-picking.

Actually, that's not the way I see it: bzrmerge does a plain full
complete merge.  The only difference with "bzr merge" is that it helps
you avoid spurious conflicts for changes which you know would be
resolved by taking the trunk version (because the trunk's code is
already ahead of the release branch's code).

E.g. it tries to avoid the conflicts due to a change like "increase
revision from 24.0.95 to 24.0.96" when the trunk it already at
"24.1.50", or when the trunk already has the same bugfix installed
(e.g. with the exact same code, or maybe with a different less
conservative change).

It is not designed for cherry picking.

        Stefan