Re: Emacs 23.4 Updated Windows Binaries published

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.4 Updated Windows Binaries published
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 07:57:49 -0800

On 02/07/2012 01:53 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> What is DOI?

It's an alternative to URLs, which is supposed to be more
stable than URLs.  For example, a DOI to a paper published in 2002
is still supposed to work, even if the paper's publisher
has moved or has changed their website.  In practice, I've
found that DOIs are more stable than ordinary URLs, but they
still don't always work; my guess is that publishers occasionally
go bankrupt or stop paying the DOI clearinghouse or whatever.

Here's a DOI:

10.1007/978-3-642-24418-6_13

You can convert it to a URL like this:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-24418-6_13

This points to the following paper:

Bergquist M, Ljungberg L, Rolandsson B.
A Historical Account of the Value of Free and Open Source Software: From
Software Commune to Commercial Commons.
IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology 365/2011, 196-207