Re: CL package serious deficiencies

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CL package serious deficiencies
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:02:52 -0500

> 4. And yes, it's non-trivial work to get things right.  If you,
> Stefan, find the existing code too lightly commented and less than
> clear, then it should be evident that others will too.  For progress
> to be made here there would, IMO, need to be some commitment from
> people like you.  But maybe I'm wrong and all it will take is some
> new, bright volunteer lurking on the list and waiting for an
> opportunity to make a difference. ;-)

I'd start by declaring symbol-macrolet and defsubst* as deprecated
(they both suffer from serious bugs, the corresponding features aren't
very important and noone is willing/able to fix them).
Of course lexical-let will be marked obsolete soon as well.

Fixing the setf-method handling shouldn't be that hard (basically
adding macroexpand-1 and making it use it).

        Stefan