Re: bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: bug#10612: GnuTLS bundled with the windows Emacs binaries
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 09:00:30 -0700

Ted,

On 1/26/2012 8:44 AM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

Christoph, can you add a GnuTLS build step to your Emacs build for
Windows, so the latest GnuTLS version can be used on that platform?  We
had a long conversation about this and at least for now it seems to be
the best approach (and we agreed it would not be a task for the core
Emacs developers).  If you prefer, I can set up a BuildBot to produce
the GnuTLS DLLs for you.

From what Eli said about his experience building GnuTLS on W32 this is something I'd rather not take on. My time is rather limited.

I am happy to build against whichever GnuTLS lib with binaries is available for W32 wherever. Whether that is on Eli's site or the official GnuTLS site.

I will also include a link to a location where to obtain the binaries in my release announcements from now on.

Regarding shipping Emacs with the GnuTLS binaries, I am generally not opposed to doing that. But what about jpeg, gif, tiff support? I agree with Juanma who IIRC said that we are providing an _Emacs binary distribution_. This whole model does not fit the expectations in the Windows world. In 2012, Windows users expect an "Emacs for Windows" with all (binary) batteries included, an installer/uninstaller, etc. We don't supply that and unless somebody steps up and does the work necessary we won't. Whether politically speaking we should is another question.

Right now I am building against Eli's library v3.0.9. If you provide a more recent, working, binary build for Windows and there is a somewhat convenient way for me to get it (I can script downloading and unzip'ing) I can include it in the binary distribution. That is, of course, if nobody has compelling arguments why I should not.

Do we have to provide the source for GnuTLS if we include it in the distro or is it enough for it to be available on the GnuTLS site?

Christoph