Re: face vs. mouse-face text property

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: face vs. mouse-face text property
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 04:11:46 -0500

> From: chad <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:04:39 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> >> The characters you propose are much less popular, so run greater risk
> >> of being not covered by the console fonts.
> >
> > E.g., PuTTY in UTF-8 display mode shows them as empty rectangles.
>
> I trust your experience far more than mine these days, but I have to wonder
> if empty rectangle might not be good enough for the suggested use case.

I doubt that.  The issue at hand is how to display mouse-highlighted
newline so that it is clear to the user it's a newline that (e.g.)
will be inserted when she clicks on it in *Completions* buffer.
Showing an empty rectangle hardly accomplishes that effect.

> I assume that C-x = DTRT with those empty rectangles?

You meant "C-u C-x =", I presume.  This does show the name of the
character, but you should have the cursor on it, which might be
tricky in the *Completions* buffer.  Also, at least some methods of
displaying something instead of a newline (e.g., display strings)
cause "C-x =" to display information about the underlying character,
which may or may not explain what is being shown and why.