Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 00:35:23 +0900

Paul Eggert writes:
 > On 01/22/2012 01:36 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > > I don't have it on either my Gentoo system or my Debian(!) system
 >
 > It's from a Debian package, introduced in lenny (Debian GNU/Linux 5.0),
 > which was released about three years ago.  Here's a URL:
 >
 > http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/console-setup

Well, the system was installed as stable in early 2007 and since
upgraded to testing (currently wheezy, plus some mission-critical
stuff from sid that I'm willing to baby-sit because it's mission
critical).  But that package is not installed on my system, which is a
common and up-to-date distribution.  It's possible that new installs
would always have it, but I suspect Emacs users are more likely to
have ancient repeatedly updated systems than the average user.

 > If you don't have setupcon, you can try this recipe instead,

It's not about me, OK?  If I want it, I doubt it would take me more
than half an hour to figure it out; I've been embedded in the world's
most complex linguistic environment (at least as far as computer use
goes) for 20 years, and was a recognized expert on the subject of
internationalization of GNU/Linux systems a decade ago, though I've
slipped quite a bit since then (obviously!)

I don't really have an objection to using directed quotes in Emacs, as
long as all the syntax tables and various things are set up correctly
before public release (and I would not be surprised to find out that
set up takes a while to shake down) -- at worst it should be annoying,
not work-stopping.  But I'd be willing to bet it's going to cause
annoyance to more than the three Emacs developers using the Linux
console if you start on it right now.