RE: bug#10385: e binding in info-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: bug#10385: e binding in info-mode
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 15:00:16 -0800

>  > I have considered Info-edit obsolete ever since we had Texinfo.
>
> If you don't tell the users that something is
> deprecated/obsolete, then such interior consideration
> doesn't mean much.
>
> We are not bureaucrats, we are developing software to be useful for
> users and to give them freedom.  We follow certain practical practices
> because they are generally helpful, but they are not imposed by gods.

I doubt anyone disagrees with that.  Just how is it relevant here?

The idea is to help Emacs users, including those writing Lisp code, by giving
them a heads-up wrt Emacs Dev support/intentions.  That, I presume, is the idea
behind functions such as `make-obsolete(-variable)': to inform users about
things that are considered obsolete.

Your thinking for 30 years that something is obsolete, and keeping the thought
to yourself, does not help users know that Emacs Development considers it so.

Have you considered for the same 30 years, since introducing Texinfo, that the
section of the `Info' manual that tells users how to write Info nodes by hand is
also obsolete?  If so, would it be bureaucratic to update that manual to reflect
your judgment, assuming the Emacs maintainers felt the same?

One need not be a bureaucrat or believe in gods to think that such communication
can be helpful to users.  Should we stop publishing NEWS because we are not
bureaucrats?