Re: GnuTLS for W32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GnuTLS for W32
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 23:30:15 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:39:27 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Just set dynamic-library-alist as it contains ('gnutls
> >> . "/path/to/gnutls/gnutls.dll") (or whatever are the right names).
> >
> > Putting DLLs in arbitrary places is not TRT.
>
> Nobody is suggesting an *arbitrary* place. Where ELPA puts its files is
> anything but arbitrary.

Yes, it is, for DLLs and other binaries.  Those should go where
binaries live, not where Lisp packages live.

> > We should put it in the
> > same directory where emacs.exe lives, and then there's no need to do
> > anything with dynamic-library-alist.
>
> Depending on how Emacs was installed, that would require elevated
> privileges, something ELPA can not ask for, AFAIK.

FUD.  Emacs is not installed by corporate policies on Windows, so this
won't happen except in very rare cases.

> Please keep in mind that we (or at least Ted and I) are discussing
> the feasibility of using ELPA for providing and updating the
> required dll for Emacs STARTTLS capability to work on Windows.

Excellent.  But please do it right, or your changes will be rejected
flat out.  There's a certain organization to the Emacs tree, including
on Windows; please follow it, so we could give users reasonably clear
explanations for them to be able to maintain the tree.

> Yes, putting the dll along the emacs executable on the same directory
> works, that's what I do with my own software. However, my applications
> require a privileged user to upgrade or install new components

Then it's _your_ problem, and I'm sure you already have a solution for
it.  Having a DLL near the .exe is the recommended practice and a safe
one at that.  Please follow it, if you want to do this job.