Re: Unwarranted invocation of starttls

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Unwarranted invocation of starttls
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:57:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> What was the message exactly?
>
> Opening STARTTLS connection to `MY-SERVER-NAME:25'

Ah, right, that's definitely from starttls.el.  This means that 1) your
SMTP server has announced that it offers STARTTLS, and 2)
`open-network-stream' has determined that don't have built-in TLS
support, and 3) that it thinks that you do have external TLS support of
some kind.

> I think the reason is that installing GnuTLS binaries installs
> gnutls-cli executable on PATH.  At least, if I remove all the
> executables and leave only the shared libraries, the problem goes
> away.

`starttls-available-p' probably returned non-nil for you, I guess?  It
would be interesting to find out why it didn't work, then.  Could you
put the gnutls-cli program back into your path and edebug through
`starttls-open-stream-gnutls' (I think) to see what goes wrong?