Re: Mac OS-compatible ports

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Mac OS-compatible ports
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:27:48 +0100

Ted Zlatanov skrev 2011-12-31 14:22:
(changing the thread subject, we've drifted off-topic long enough)

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 07:12:58 +0900 YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu<address@hidden>  wrote:

YM>  When I tried the GNUstep port some time ago, it was quite
YM>  unsatisfactory.  I thought it might be only for me and the problem
YM>  of the GNUstep version I tried or because of my configuration.  So I
YM>  asked your GNUstep version/configuration because I took it for
YM>  granted that those who are backing the GNUstep port at least have
YM>  experience of its use, otherwise it looked so irresponsible to me.

I understand and apologize I was not clearer.

YM>  I even think that pushing software that is far from usable only
YM>  because it is for GNUstep might result in lowering the
YM>  image/evaluation of GNUstep itself and do harm for the GNU project's
YM>  goal, because those who actually tried the GNUstep port will feel
YM>  disappointed.

I agree with your statement, but we're not "pushing" the NS port only
because it's for GNUstep.  It's quite usable on Mac OS X.  I said that
"in its defense" it is compatible with GNUstep by using the Cocoa API,
which your port isn't.  So, to make the current situation clear, the
Mac OS port choice is between:

1) NS port: Cocoa API, works on Mac OS X with some issues, compatible
with GNUstep and can work there (it needs lots of work though).  Apple
has repeatedly stated Cocoa is the preferred API for Mac OS X
developers, especially for new software.

I don't think GNUStep needs "lots" of work, just work :-). AFAIK, it is mainly fonts that are problematic, but then again, fonts in GNUStep (i.e. without Emacs) seems to be a problem. The NS font backend needs work, as it is quite slow and uses old API:s.

        Jan D.