Re: Power: blink-cursor-mode is a pig

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Power: blink-cursor-mode is a pig
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:37:11 +0000

On 30/12/11 09:10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

FWIW, I _hate_ click-to-focus windowing systems.  They prevent me from
typing into a partially-obscured window while looking at a window in
the foreground.

Strictly, that sounds more like a beef with raise-on-focus, a separate concern from click-to-focus on several window systems, e.g. AmigaOS was click-to-focus but _not_ click-to-raise by default (you could turn on "ClickToFront" if you wanted it), you instead clicked specific titlebar widgets to raise/lower windows (awkward in its own way of course -the widgets could easily be obscured, making raising one window an exercise in lowering others)

Various x11 wms permit similar click-to-focus but not click-to-raise configuration, though it's not usually the default (http://nickgravgaard.com/windowlab/ is one where it is).

> how to set focus-follows-mouse operation, and then set it up.

It's also possible to have focus-follows-mouse with auto-raise (perhaps after further delay), which I assume you'd also find a bit irritating.

Anyway, not that it matters much to emacs beyond continuing to avoid any focussed == raised assumption.