Re: auto-raise-mode and auto-lower-mode

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: auto-raise-mode and auto-lower-mode
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:03:38 +0100

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:17:55 +0100
Chong Yidong wrote:

> AFAICT, these don't work on modern window managers, right?  I'm going to
> remove them from the Emacs manual.  Any opinion about marking them as
> obsolete?

How is `auto-raise-mode' different from `raise-frame'? IOW, if you want
to obsolete the former, you might just as well obsolete the latter.

In any case, I thought `raise-frame' was supposed to work on Windows at
least, maybe also OS X and some other environments I don't use.

When `raise-frame' fails but the WM supports EWMH, the following has
worked for me:

(defadvice raise-frame (around wmctrl activate)
  (if (eq (window-system (ad-get-arg 0)) 'x)
      (x-send-client-message nil 0 (ad-get-arg 0)
                             "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW" 32 '(1))
    ad-do-it))

So ISTM fixing `raise-frame' would be a more appropriate solution.

--
Štěpán