Re: Memory again

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: Memory again
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 20:02:27 +0100

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:58:49 +0100
>> From: Carsten Mattner <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> Does emacs fear the memory may be used by someone else
>> and hold onto what it claimed?
>
> It doesn't, or at least shouldn't.  When enough memory has been
> reclaimed by GC, it should give it away to the system.  At least on
> some systems, I actually see that in action, after killing a large
> buffer.

As it's at 56.1megs at the moment after having left it open
for a couple more hours, I guess that Dmitry's heap fragmentation
explanation sounds most likely.

I'd like to not guess but help find potential issues which
can be corrected.

How can I instrument/help find leaks or errors in the memory
manager?

>> Restoring the directory made emacs realize the "file has changed on
>> disk". Is this checked via a hash/checksum or does emacs carry along
>> more than that?
>
> It remembers the last time stamp of the file/directory.

Ah, I see, thanks.