Re: Common Lisp indentation bug fix/new feature

From: Lawrence Mitchell
Subject: Re: Common Lisp indentation bug fix/new feature
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:52:53 +0000

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think it's a good change, but I don't think there's any rush to put it
>> into Emacs-24.1.

> Right.  And it's not a totally complete solution, either.  Stuff like

> (loop for (bar foo)
>       on zot
>       by #'cddr
>       collect bar)

> should probably not indent like that?  (Which is what it does both now
> and with my additional patch, I think.)

> I think the LOOP indentation thing really needs to have deeper knowledge
> about the semantics to indent stuff better.  That is, it needs to know
> that FOR and COLLECT introduce a new clause, while ON/BY don't.

> So I'll write something more semantically aware and apply it to Emacs
> after 24.1.

Are you aware of the existing efforts in this area, namely the
slime-cl-indent that's being developed in SLIME.  See
http://www.didierverna.com/sciblog/index.php?post/2011/05/06/Common-Lisp-indentation-in-XEmacs
and http://random-state.net/log/3513839648.html

Perhaps it could be synced into Emacs.

Lawrence