Re: Nebulous streaming/point bug

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Nebulous streaming/point bug
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:20:32 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Based on your patch I think it's a GnuTLS bug.  They are up to 3.x now,
> which makes it harder: do we keep supporting the 2.x series or do we
> start using 3.x, which will be harder to obtain because it's new,
> especially for the W32 build?  I'd rather not support both and just move
> to 3.x, which has a fairly compatible API, and see if the bug is still
> there.  What do you think?

I think we should support both.  I really want normal Emacs 24.1 users
to have encrypted network connections by default.

> Obviously all this would happen after the release; for now I think it's
> best to use your patch and note it's temporary.

If people think the approach is halfway sane, I can clean up the patch
and apply, but I'd love to have some feedback first.

To recap:

Some versions of libgnutls do not seem to work well with select.  That
is, they don't say that there's anything there even though there is.

So the idle loop, which does a select on all the file descriptors don't
get (all) the data from gnutls sockets.  My "fix" is to loop through all
the channels, see whether they are gnutls sockets, and then calling
emacs_gnutls_record_check_pending on each one.

Since this is done in the idle loop, it's typically done once every
second or so, apparently.  So the performance hit should be negligible.

The loop looks like this:

for (channel = 0; channel < MAXDESC; ++channel)
  if (! NILP (chan_process[channel]))
     ... do stuff

But it's an ugly hack.

So: Add the hack or not?