Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 13:05:42 +0100

On 21 Oct 2011, Eli Zaretskii outgrape:

> Do you see a similar growth of the footprint in Emacs 23.3?  None of
> what you are describing seems to be specific to Emacs 24, so it would
> be good to compare with the memory usage of Emacs 23.3.

Sorry, I'm afraid I switched from XEmacs to Emacs during the 24.x
development period and jumped straight onto the trunk, so I have no
experience of 23.x. Ripping the lexbinds back out of my .emacs would
be extremely unpleasant, but I'll see if I can manage it :)

> As for memory fragmentation: this is on GNU/Linux, right?

Yes.

>                                                            If so, the
> memory allocator used by Emacs should prevent any such fragmentation,
> at least in the simple scenarios you described.  So I don't think
> memory fragmentation can explain what you see.

What, even if what's happening is massive allocation of conses followed
by allocation of longer-lived stuff followed by freeing of those conses?
Conses are small: there's no way they'll go over the M_MMAP_THRESHOLD.

--
NULL && (void)