customization theme users/use-cases/info

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: customization theme users/use-cases/info
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 05:18:33 -0400

I've been trying to use the themes feature that's been in Emacs since
v23.x, and I am finding it a little bit awkward... most of what's in
Emacs is oriented around using the regular customization interface,
which stomps on anything set up by a theme.  There isn't much
information in the Emacs manual about how one might use themes, there's
no information on EmacsWiki, and the facilities go un-mentioned in the
Elisp manual.  I might expect to find information there about the theme
data structure, for example.  Especially because of the silence of
EmacsWiki (I think I made the one page that mentions themes there---no,
color-theme is something different) it makes me wonder how the feature
was designed, who's actually using it, and whether they're being
well-served by it.

Any information appreciated,

--
Dave Abrahams