Re: Multithreading, again and again

From: Dave Abrahams
Subject: Re: Multithreading, again and again
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:54:09 -0400

on Thu Oct 20 2011, Stefan Monnier <monnier-AT-IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

>> I think cooperativeness doesn't really eliminate the need for locks,
>
> I hope it will.

I think it can't.  If I write a (pure) function f today I should be able
to come back later and make its implementation multithreaded without
breaking all the other code that's running.  I don't see how I can do
that if instead of locking you plan to rely on people not-yielding.  If
there's no level at which parallelism can become an implementation
detail, I think you don't have a workable programming model.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing