Re: Multithreading, again and again

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Multithreading, again and again
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:18:20 -0600

[ threading ]

Stefan> We could provide a `fork' primitive, indeed.

My impression is that 'fork' is difficult to implement portably.  You
could try, I suppose.  Or there's "run a separate Emacs and communicate
over pipes":

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-02/msg00534.html

There are some aspects of sharing that may be hard (file descriptors).
Also setting up initial state of the worker process is hard if one
cannot truly fork.

I do wonder why there hasn't been more experimentation with this
approach, though, given that it is doable today just by running emacs as
a subprocess.

Tom