Re: Git mirrors

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:09:59 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > Tutorial is not the issue here.  (Git does come with an official
 > tutorial man page.)

Actually, it comes with three or so.  This is a problem ("quantity
before quality").

 > The issue here is that every command should be explained in a way
 > that is suitable both for the first reading by someone
 > inexperienced, and as reference material for someone experienced
 > who knows exactly what she is after.  I didn't find any git
 > documentation that fills the former niche (but I admit that I
 > didn't look too hard).

You won't get explanations for newbies for many git commands, because
they aren't commands.  They are actually internal functions, exposed
as commands because git's scripting language is POSIX shell.

Many commands do have reasonable introductions somewhere in the
tutorials, howtos, or man pages, but the organization of the
documentation leaves a lot to be desired.  You're absolutely right
that there's no rule for finding introductory material, you just have
to be lucky (or read everything, which is impractical to say the least).