Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint

From: Carsten Mattner
Subject: Re: Emacs bzr memory footprint
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:13:55 +0200

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:24:25 +0200
>> From: Carsten Mattner <address@hidden>
>>
>> I've been wondering whether it's normal for Emacs to start with
>> 10 or 20 megs and stay at ~100 megs after opening and closing
>> multiple buffers.
>
> It depends on what you mean by "opening and closing".  My Emacs
> session is running for 19 hours and its current footprint is 187MB,
> but it has 273 buffers of various sizes.  This is on a 32-bit machine.

Also 32-bit machine here.

"opening and closing" means loading some source file (C, Erlang,
Text, Haskell, M4, something else) and maybe erc-tls. Then after nuking
all buffers and emacs using minimum 100 megs I wondered why no
gc kicked in to reduce it by at least 30 megs (random number).

Are there known leaks with erlang-mode or haskell-mode?
Can there be leaks in major modes or other addons like
ido extensions or custom themes?

> So please show a minimal sequence of commands that bring you from 20MB
> up to 100MB.  Please also tell what platform is this on (64-bit hosts
> are expected to use more memory than 32-bit hosts).

Darwin 64bit and Linux 32bit

>> Does Emacs have some kind of memory reclaim or gc mechanism?
>
> Of course, Emacs includes garbage collector.  It runs automatically,
> but you can also invoke it manually with "M-x garbage-collect RET".

I believe I tried that to no effect. Will retry and take notes.