Re: Has anybody got a tool for manipulating dribble files?

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Has anybody got a tool for manipulating dribble files?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:21:26 -0400

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Emacs.
>
> I've got a rather largish dribble-file (thanks Michael!) for recreating
> a bug.  Does anybody here have or know about a tool which can replay
> (partially or wholly) such a file, or anything similar?

I asked this a little while ago, and got no response.  So I wrote the
following function:

This function reads a dribble file and creates a keyboard macro from
it.  It is heuristic in nature.  You cannot tell the difference between
`RET' being pressed and the key sequence "<return>" in a dribble file,
along with a couple of other similar things.

Once you have the macro, it can then be edited using M-x edit-kbd-macro
(of `C-x e').  Unfortunately, the macro will stop on any C-g or any
command that raises an error, so the macro must be edited to elide
these.

In this particular case, I have done the work, and I will be posting an
exact recipe for recreating the problem in Bug 9560.  (Once nice thing
about using a keyboard macro to replicate the problem is that you can
trim it to look at intermediate state.)

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)