Re: smtp crap

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:34:19 +0200

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 16:16, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 08:33,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> If you are using for example Gmail as a webmail there is a utility you
>> can install to make it the default MUA on your pc.
>>
>> And there are also add-ons for different browsers to make
>> mailto:-links work with different webmails. (I think I suggested long
>> ago to make Emacs bug reporter write a html page to take advantage of
>> this.)
>
> What benefits would writing a web page bring compared to the current
> mailclient implementation?

I think that web pages will normally open in a web browser. So I guess
at least that part will work without problems for most users.

And if the user have one of these add-ons I mentioned above a simple
link on that page can open a new message to send to the bug reporter.
(And that link may contain the relevant information about the bug.
Perhaps the whole bug report - I am not sure about text length limits
there.)

And if the user does not use web mail it will propably still work
since the default MUA will be started by the link on that page. (So it
could be a good first alternative that can work for most everyone.)