Re: Git mirrors

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 15:31:03 +0200

[snip]

>> I just object to the way Óscar (inter alia) is being shouted down.
>
> Óscar is using the past to complain about the present.

The past is "choosing bzr over other Free alternatives was politicaly
motivated regardless of technical merit; the interests of GNU prevailed,
users were dismissed."

The present is "providing a convenient git mirror is considered not good
for GNU; once again, GNU is considered more important than users."

I always thought that Free Software is about the user, always the
user. But once you begin privileging some packages simply because they
abide to GNU, and viewing others as "not beneficial" because they don't,
irrespectively of its merit, then GNU starts looking as a menacing
entity, something dangerous that pretends to roll over your beloved
creations just because that's good for GNU's self-interest.

> And he's refusing to use Bazaar.

Where I said so?

Since some time ago, this discussion have entered strawman mode.

> His prerogative, but is not unlike complaining
> why Emacs is written in C and not C++. That's just not the tool that
> Emacs use. Please, do adapt.

It is the other way around: the infrastructure must adapt to the needs
of users, whenever there are enough technical and human resources. If
some Emacs hackers feel more at home with
git/mercurial/whatever-other-Free-tool, why not simply provide it? How
could that be "not good" for GNU, the spearhead of Free Software? The
"do adapt" means, exactly, "down your throat!". There is no need for
that, other than political reasons. Those are damaging the user and
sending an unfriendly message to other Free projects.