Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 24.0.90
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:07:46 +0200

>> Therefore, what I say is that it would be great if the version of
>> "make" that comes with MSYS didn't have the problem I (and you) said,
>
> But MSYS' make does not have any "problem". It works well for its
> purpose: to build MinGW packages. MSYS is not, and has never been,
> intended as a generic "Unix tools package for Windows". That's what
> GnuWin32 is for.

>From "http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS":

  MSYS is a collection of GNU utilities such as bash, make, gawk and
grep to allow
  building of applications and programs which depend on traditionally UNIX tools
  to be present. It is intended to supplement MinGW and the
deficiencies of the cmd shell.

This description doesn't seems to be the same as yours:  "to allow
building of applications and programs" not "to build MinGW packages".

As I said, I'm able to successfully build the latest Emacs trunk on
Windows using exclusively MinGW and MSYS, which are both conveniently
integrated into a package manager (mingw-get).  The only obstacle is
the one already explained, which apparently has a very simple
workaround (already explained too).

--
Dani Moncayo