Re: Git mirrors

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Git mirrors
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 04:23:52 +0200

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 04:12, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

> Now, go and say to
> any Git or Mercurial developer that bzr wasn't a technically inferior
> choice.

Are we disagreeing on the meaning of "was[n't]" vs. "is"?

> The decision on Bzr was political, not technical

Believe it or not, and to my *great* chagrin, I was quoted in the
Linux Weekly News saying that (I supported git over bzr back then):

http://lwn.net/Articles/272853/

"Juanma Barranquero sums up his (and others') objections:

What I'm trying to say is: I won't discuss which dVCS we choose
(unless it makes Windows development a PITA). But I agree with Jeremy
Maitin-Shepard that the cause of free software is strengthened by us
selecting among the free alternatives the one that best serves our
technical, not political, needs."

(Being a Windows guy through-and-through, I haven't yet recovered from
the shame of being quoted in a Linux magazine...)

But that was then. Bazaar now is quite a different beast, and
apparently the next major release will natively support colocated
branches and then everything I like from git will be in Bazaar.

    Juanma