Re: smtp crap

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: smtp crap
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 00:06:21 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Editing the From is indeed a bug that we have to fix before the
> release.

Perhaps the simplest way would be to add these checks to the `M-x
report-emacs-bugs' hooks.  That is, if we're going to use
`mailclient-send-it', we obviously don't care about the From header, and
shouldn't check it.

The problem is that we don't really know whether we're going to be using
`mailclient-send-it' or not when we hit `C-c C-c', because we might get
prompted first.  (Especially in the "emacs -Q" case.)

So this is my suggestion: Make `C-c C-c' in `M-x report-emacs-bugs'
call the sendmail.el code to determine what mail transport we will be
using.  (This may prompt the user.)  And then, if it turns out that the
transport is `mailclient-send-it', we disable the From checks.

If this sounds reasonable, I can take a whack at implementing this.