Re: Gdb in emacs 24

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Gdb in emacs 24
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 05:07:42 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > And I pointed out that you couldn't actually infer the switch to the new
 > > interface from the doc string of `gdb'.
 >
 > There's no requirement to infer the switch, because I just told about
 > the switch myself.

C'mon, Eli.  The need to *infer* the switch was before you posted.
The user would have needed a time machine to read your post before she
asked her question.  The docstring sucked (apparently it's been fixed)
and your reference to "gdb-mi.el" means nothing to somebody not
familiar with the intimate details.  It wouldn't have subtracted any
useful information if you had avoided referring to gdb-mi.el entirely.

 > > 1. The user doesn't care about how Emacs GDB and the underlying
 > >    gdb communicate, and how that changes between Emacs versions -
 > >    nor should they have to care.
 >
 > Users who don't care shouldn't override the Emacs defaults with an
 > explicit GDB command line that is based on intimate details of how GUD
 > invokes GDB.

Be a little more gracious!  In case you hadn't noticed, this is the
free software movement, and users are expected and encouraged to share
tips and tricks in configuring the software they use.  That doesn't
necessarily mean they will be able to share the full understanding
necessary to come up with the tip or trick in the first place -- and
normally (ie, with software that doesn't change interfaces) it's not
necessary to fully understand.

The GDB interface change is a special case; AFAICS it really was a
good idea.  But such changes involve collateral damage, and the only
thing you can really do is apologize for it, and be especially careful
to document the risks fully.