Re: Djvu mode

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Djvu mode
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:23:27 -0500

On Sun Oct 2 2011 Camm Maguire wrote:
> Currently the code ignores but preserves non-djvm-mode produced
> annotations, but this should be easy to add.

I am sorry, I am confused! What kind of annotations are then added
to the file? Are they incompatible with the standard djvu format?
Why that?

> Me too.  This is the main point.  I am currently using it for this
> with success.  I'm not really sure though whether text notes are best
> placed in the file, as you have to click on the box to see them (in
> emacs djvm mode or djview),

Depending on how you set up the annotations. djview displays them
immediately - at least for me (with DjVuLibre DjView 4.5 under GNU linux).

> > nicely displays these annotations including any text layers they
> > might have.
>
> Emacs with this mode does too, but just for the annotations it writes
> itself at the moment.  It labels these with a "djvm" comment.

Why "djvm"? Why being incompatible?

> This is a somewhat common indication of a poorly constructed text
> layer by an early ocr engine.  I've always cleared this by a fresh
> ocrodjvu --in-place foo.djvu.  Boxes then line up perfectly.  I think
> the ocr code has only very recently matured.

Again I am confused. Take the djvu file I attached earlier in this
thread (produced with pdf2djvu-0.7.7). If I search a word via
djview, it highlights the matches such that the boxes are perfectly
aligned with the text. So I assume that the djvu file is OK. Yet
with your mode the highlighting is shifted relative to what it is
supposed to match. Something is misaligned here.
(My emacs is GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.20.1) of 2011-09-19.)

What am I missing here?

Roland