Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode

From: Rasmus Pank Roulund
Subject: Re: Ideas for hl-line-mode
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:54:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Dave Abrahams <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:17:25 -0400
>>
>> > Does
>> >
>> >    (eq (get major-mode 'mode-class) 'special)
>> >
>> > do what you want?
>>
>> Cool, I was hoping someone would point out an existing facility I didn't
>> know about...
>>
>> Oh, interesting.  It's probably a very good heuristic, though I'm not
>> sure the description of this mode-class as "only for specially-prepared
>> text" really implies that horizontal position is irrelevant.
>
> If you provide a list of those modes which you are interested in, we
> could see whether the fact they are `special' is a coincidence or
> something else.

It's a very good idea with a more general approach to this.  At the
moment I have the following in my .gnus:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'my-setup-hl-line)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'my-setup-hl-line)

(defun my-setup-hl-line ()
  (hl-line-mode 1)
  (setq cursor-type nil))
#+end_src