Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: smtpmail and ~/.authinfo
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:54:37 -0500

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:43:08 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think raw-text is more likely to work, based on what Lars says.

LMI> On the other hand, if auth-source prompts for a password, and you type
LMI> in something non-ASCII, the result will probably be something utf8-ey, I
LMI> think?  Which may or may not work on the server, but I don't really see
LMI> what to do about it.  Except asking the user "You've typed in something
LMI> non-ASCII.  What bit pattern are you imagining Emacs will actually send
LMI> to the server?"  :-)

LMI> Or what charset to use.  Probably slightly less confusing, but probably
LMI> not a whole lot more.

OK, let's start from the beginning.  We should support Unicode
characters for secrets, yes?  I think each API user should limit that
further, but there's no reason for auth-source to block some data
arbitrarily.  So if I can't encode the secrets with UTF-8, what should I
use that gives me good compatibility with other GNU and other libraries
and programs like libcurl for instance?

Ted