Re: even-window-heights

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: even-window-heights
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 10:22:20 +0200

> The problem is that variable name contradicts the behavior, so I'm not
> sure a docstring change is enough.

I profoundly dislike this option.  In particular, I don't understand why
a window should be resized only if it's adjacent to the selected one.
Moreover, the adjacency test is inherently wrong for slightly more
complex window layouts.  And, if there are other windows in the same
combination, some of these might shrink or grow instead of the selected
one.

> I think this should be like `resize-mini-windows': make a new value
> `grow-only' (the default) which means the current behavior, and any
> other non-nil value would be the behavior you originally implemented,
> i.e. both growing and shrinking allowed.

I'd rather make this variable obsolete instead.  It's a relict from a
time when a frame used to contain at most two windows ...

martin