Re: redisplay-dont-pause

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: redisplay-dont-pause
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 13:29:42 -0400

    Because the optimizations rely on the display being up to date, which
    cannot be assured if redisplay was aborted half way through.

There is no reason in principle that it can't be assured.
The display code I wrote assured the integrity of the records,
even when it stopped having updated only some of the lines.
And the multi-font display code in Emacs 19 did so too.

Maybe there is no need now to support pauses in redisplay.  I am not
arguing about that.  However, I would like to set the record straight
about this basic point.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation