Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `isearch-allow-scroll' - a misnomer and a bad design
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:58:42 -0400

> I meant that it is not _necessarily_ about scrolling.  I understand that that
> was the original motivation, and it remains an important use case (for people
> who want scrolling).

Actually, it's more than that: its intention is about scrolling.
You can abuse it, but some people like pass-through for some set of
commands but not for others, so isearch-allow-scroll is meant to control
that for scrolling commands.

We all agree that the fact that C-u got folded into it is definitely
a misfeature in this respect.

Maybe what you want is a new option `isearch-pass-through-categories',
which would be a list of symbol properties, so any command who has
a non-nil value for one of those properties is allowed to run without
exiting isearch.

Then `scroll-command' becomes one possible element of
isearch-pass-through-categories.

> It is true, AFAICT.  Nothing prevents you from putting property
> `isearch-scroll' on *any* command, to get Isearch to pass through
> to it.

But you still only have one boolean value to control what commands to
pass through.  So what would you name this boolean option?
`isearch-a-few-more-commands-run-within-isearch'?
What if people want pass-through for scrolling commands but not for your
new command?

        Stefan