Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105648: Make sendmail-query-once update send-m

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105648: Make sendmail-query-once update send-mail-function directly.
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 10:51:10 -0400

>>   Make sendmail-query-once update send-mail-function directly.
>
> The reason for using the second variable was, as previously discussed
> and agreed-to on the mailing list, that after using the new
> sendmail.el, all Emacs users will have `sendmail-send-function' set.
> This makes it impossible to change the default at a later date, if we
> find out that we should default to something else sometime in the
> future.  (Which is not unlikely -- mail delivery methods change.)

One problem with sendmail-query-once-function is that it's not a
defcustom, so it's inappropriate to save it via customize-save-variable.

Making it a defcustom is not a good solution either.  The problem of
forward compatibility doesn't seem serious enough to justify yet another
layer on top of send-mail-function.

If, in the future, we come up with another method to deliver mail, the
fact that some users have set send-mail-function via sendmail-query-once
should not bother us any more than those who've customized it directly.
So it is better to just do the straightforward thing.