Re: Free cursor positioning.

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Free cursor positioning.
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:16:06 -0700

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:27 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> IMO, this is something that would make sense as a built-in minor mode,
>> something like this.  (Excuse the Git patch format; I've never gotten
>> around to learning Bazaar.)
>
> The code looks fine to me.
>
> If you package it as a separate file, we could install it in the GNU
> ELPA (we could also install it as a patch to picture.el, but since
> Emacs-24.1 is in feature freeze, this would have to wait for
> Emacs-24.2).
>

>        Stefan
>

> PS: You'd also have to sign some copyright paperwork, of course.

I emailed address@hidden a week ago.  Are they supposed to reply with
an acknowledgement that they're sending the papers, or do I just watch
my postal mail and wait?

I attached the file that would go in Gnu ELPA.  This seems like
something someone would want to enable globally, so I included a
`define-global-minor-mode'.  Problems come up, though, when the
picture-move-* commands try to insert spaces in read only text, and
they don't work well with fields like those in Customize buffers.

One thing I could do is make quarter-plane-move-* commands that call
either the picture commands or the normal movement commands depending
on whether the buffer is read-only, or something similar to handle
when only parts of the buffer are read-only.

picture-move-down still wouldn't move past a field in the Customize
buffer, though.  It looks like the problem is that if point is on the
same line as a field, but in the text before the start of the field,
`end-of-line' takes point to the beginning of the field instead of the
end of the line.  `picture-newline' then incorrectly assumes that
`forward-char' will take it to the next line.

Any ideas on how I could get it to work properly as a global minor mode?