Re: Global bar to display global information

From: Jérémy Compostella
Subject: Re: Global bar to display global information
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:38:07 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> > Anyway, I was thinking that we could maybe use the echo area to
> > provide globals information like date/time or unread mail count.
>
> And I already explained how to do that in my earlier email in
> this thread.
Yes. But first I wasn't really agree with this solution. Indeed I was more
thinking about a dedicated/specialized new bar and I confess I was a little bit
too rigid about others solutions. But one night after,
I think your solution is the best one among all the proposals in this thread to
solve this issue because it also solves the useless echo area issue and as I use
Emacs as my desktop environment I do like optimized space usage (I disable
scrollbar, menubar, window decoration, ...).

However, I don't have a reliable Internet access right now and I have to wait
Saturday to work on this solution. I will work on a package to format text like
you suggested.

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy