epa and mail

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: epa and mail
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:45:25 -0400

I implemented a few things yesterday that made it possible for
me to use epa instead of mailcrypt.

However, it now occurs to me that maybe my implementation
of parsing gpg.conf groups is incomplete.  If they allow
some sort of quoting, the parsing code ought to handle that.

Parsing gpg.conf is necessary because epa tries to check the
recipients for itself before passing them to gpg.  Is there a good
reason to do that?  Why not just pass them to gpg (first giving the
user an opportunity to edit the list, as mailcrypt-encrypt does), then
let gpg reject any that are not valid?

This ought to be considerably simpler, and epa would not need
to pay attention to groups.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation