Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 12:46:09 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>
>> Emacs should really avoid formatting things with L2R marks that are not
>> actually required.
>
> You are welcome to code a function that determines when it is actually
> required.  One problem with doing so with 100% accuracy is that the
> outcome depends on the text that follows the string in question, and
> sometimes even on text that precedes it.  These are not always known,
> and in fact the text that follows will normally be unknown.

Your stance is that it is ok to pepper text prepared by Emacs (and the
Emacs sources all across the board) with LRM characters as long as it
has a moderate chance of getting closer to 100% accuracy _when_ Hebrew
characters move into the payload.

But you don't get that accuracy anyway since it _only_ works for those
areas that are explicitly prepared for it, and external maintainers of
modes will not change all their code on the theoretic assumption that
somebody might get ugly results when injecting Hebrew.

We have been that down the "everybody will adapt if forced to properly"
road already with multibyte characters in 20.2 or so, when
(forward-char) was different from (goto-char (1+ (point))).  That
approach failed and was replaced with a different, less efficient solution.

Any solution that requires code review and adaptation everywhere in code
that works fine without R2L content is not going to work.

Blind activism is not going to solve the problem you perceive.

--
David Kastrup