Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: No sources for lisp/international/uni-*.el?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:45:55 -0400

    I don't think there is a reason other than the fact that admin/ was the
    best place to put UnicodeData.txt (which is a 1.4Mb file that is not
    used directly by Emacs itself, and must not be changed apart from
    updating to new Unicode releases, so it doesn't make sense to put in
    etc/).

Aside, but it's important: why do you say "must not be changed"?  It
is free -- it could be changed.  We probably will never have a good
reason to change it, so we will probably never change it, but that is
not the same as "must not".

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation