Re: X settings, default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist issues.

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: X settings, default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist issues.
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 19:29:37 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I am using fullscreen => maximized in .Xressources
>>            fullscreen => nil       in default-frame-alist
>>            fullscreen => t         in initial-frame-alist
>>
>> At every restart of emacs, frame is maximized as expected by the X
>> settings, then my init file load, and at end of startup, frame is
>> resized with (i guess) settings of default-frame-alist.
>
> I don't understand what you are setting .Xresources.
You know what i mean ;-)
Read manual page of emacs and/or docstring of initial-frame-alist.

>   (setq initial-frame-alist '((fullscreen . maximized)))
>   (setq default-frame-alist '((fullscreen . nil)))
This is working unless i don't put in initial-frame-alist anything else.
Otherwise, default-frame-alist is overhiding these settings.

Anyway that is not what is recommended in both docstring and manual of
initial-frame-alist when we use X settings + default-frame-alist.

So docstring and manual should be updated to explain that clearly.

This was the purpose of this post and also help find what happen in
bug#9033.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

--
A+ Thierry