Re: Memory leak due to bidi?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Memory leak due to bidi?
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:12:51 +0200

>> BTW, this problem is new: I've been running with bidi-display-reordering
>> set to t for more than a year now and the problem only appeared in the
>> last couple of weeks.
>
> Has anybody written an, er, memory usage statistics thing?
>
> That is, something that could summarise memory usage by bytes used in
> buffers, in strings, in conses and "rest", which would be pure C-level
> allocations.

(garbage-collect)

memory-usage.el makes it human readable.

I used to have lots of memory issues. At the time I made the following
notes:

- create a memory meter in the modeline, then it would at least be
  possible to see when memory is consumed, and maybe get a clue.

- modify the garbage collector, to make some form of dump to a file,
  when the mark stage occurs. (this is like the "jhat" java tool)

- modify the garb so as to flag an object for pretend delete. then a
  pretend garb would be done, and a measure of how much memory would be
  reclaimed if that object was to be deleted would be returned.

--
Joakim Verona