Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation

From: chad
Subject: Re: Proposed patch: allow user to disable lockfile creation
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:22:37 -0700

On Jul 28, 2011, at 9:46 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Maybe NFS provides a way to have multiple people editing in one file system.
> It is possible to determine whether NFS is in use.

There are many remote filesystems in use today, and the number is increasing as
people work to develop better alternatives to DropBox.  I'd guess that SMB,
DropBox, WebDAV, NFS, and AFS are the most commonly used, but that's just a
guess. I gather that modern VCSs have cut down on the use of network
filesystems somewhat.

Without the lockfile, does Emacs not detect that the file has changed out from
under the buffer? That used to be sufficient for me, when I used networked file
systems 90% of the time.

Hope that helps,
*Chad