Re: New build process?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: New build process?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 00:58:43 +1000

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Lennart Borgman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 15:11, Tim Cross <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm actually with Richard on this one.  I think the need to install,
>>> update, and use any additional commands before "./configure; make" is
>>> a nuisance whose justification is questionable at best.  It's just
>>> that I gave up on talking people into catering to us dinosaurs whose
>>> paradise was lost, and Richard is still trying, because he's a better
>>> man than I am.
>>>

>> If you believe you can do it and make it solid (which I expect you
>> can), then go for it. I personally don't think it is necessary as we
>> are talking about users who are choosing to interact at a low
>> development level, which IMO is a moving target subject to change and
>> instability. We should not set the bar too high here - put our efforts
>> into improving emacs and not into improving the build process for
>> those who chose to interact at this level.
>>
>> Yes, I guess I would be considered a dinosaur and possibly not even a
>
> Dear dinosaur, can't you believe making the build process simple saves
> a lot of time for many developers? And then it is possible for them to
> improve Emacs even more. (Everything that makes Emacs more stable may
> save a lot of time.)

Come ojn - this is really getting out of scale.

Currently, to build from bzr you need to run ./autogen.sh to generate
the configure script. One simple additional command. Its not
complicated, its not hard - one *SIMPLE* step.

If we were talking about something that was complicated or a lot of
people had trouble with, I would understand. In reality, this thread
was really kicked off simply because the status quo had changed very
slightly and someone was frustrated that this was not obvious to them
and caused them to waste time. The reality is that if you are going to
choose to work at this level, you are likely to see change and it is
even likely to be unstable change from time to time.

Get over it, move on, there is nothing to see here!

Tim