Re: more than one prefix argument

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: more than one prefix argument
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:25:49 +0200

Am 26.07.2011 22:36, schrieb Drew Adams:
what about allowing more than one prefix argument
by making interactive codes "p" and "P" sending
truly separated.

We already have more than one kind of prefix argument: see
universal-coding-system-argument for an example.  You can
already define as many kinds of "prefix argument" as you'd
like: just define a global flag and a command to set that
flag, and have post-command-hook clear the flag unless (eq
this-command 'my-prefix-setting-function).

I don't think that's what Andreas is asking about.  He's not asking about being
able to define alternative "prefix arg"-like things (to be used separately).  I
think he wants the same user input to somehow distinguish two different things
(?).

At least that's my understanding.  IMO, he is simply confused,

Hi Drew,

maybe you are right. Then we must wait. I'll try to sum up the matter for the moment:

current use of "p" and "P" might be enhanced. There is an intermix between both, doing nearly, but not precisely, the same.

"P" quite often is used for completely different things than sending a number.

(if (eq 4 (prefix-numeric-value))

is used as a branch command. That's the interesting about it indeed.

However, that's not clean. It's bad to read, because the fact of "4" has no meaning by themselves here. That's obscure programming style.

In general let me stress: I'm living very well with Emacs as it is. Just saying: we can live still better.

Cheers and thanks,

Andreas

 and defining
alternative prefix-arg-like things won't help him here.

Put differently, having the user use different prefix-arg-like things is similar
to having the user use a positive vs negative prefix arg.  And that's apparently
not what he wants.

He seems to want the user to use the _same_ behavior (no key difference) to
somehow get two different command behaviors.  Again, that's my guess about what
he's asking.