Re: enforcing double-width CJK character display

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: enforcing double-width CJK character display
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:27:21 +0200 (CEST)

>> This is bad news, since I consider this as a quite important
>> feature.  I really wonder why no CJK users have ever complained
>> (but maybe I've missed such rants).
>
> Well, there are AFAIUI dual-width fonts with both western and asian
> glyphs which line up and are stylistically consistent, such as
> IPAGothic (debian package otf-ipafont-gothic).  I suspect they may
> cover a lot of people's needs. Try
>
> fc-list :spacing=dual
>
> to see if you have any currently installed.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

However, in most cases, the latin characters of CJK fonts are really
ugly.  Additionally, normal CJK fonts only cover either Chinese,
Japanese, or Korean, but not all three languages at the same time, so
we have again a similar problem if we want a generic solution for
Unicode display.

    Werner