Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:03:43 +1000

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:29, Štěpán Němec <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Not that it probably matters at all, but let me express my sincere
>> appreciation for all your work on making `display-buffer' and friends
>> suck less. I do hope the outcome of this discussion won't be sticking
>> with the Emacs 23 state of things.
> [...]
>> So I'd think at this point questions of the form "How do I get this
>> specific behaviour I want with your new system?" are more useful than
>> "Why not redesign it like this?" or "Why not drop these parts of the new
>> design?".
>
> +1
>
>     Juanma

+1 and a thumbs up as well.

While Martin has probably put more deep thought into this than most,
even he may not have considered all the possible use cases, so such
questions could also help him as well as the rest of us. I suspect one
of the reasons this seems so difficult is that we as yet don't really
understand the problem. Specific questions from various
viewpoints/requirements may help address this.

Tim